Saturday, July 16, 2011

Sister Day Out and Harry Potter Thoughts

Heather and I decided we needed a day out the other day, and when Heather and I go out to town there are bound to be some interesting happenings. This trip did not let us down. One of the main events of the day happened in the bathroom of a department store. I was holding a sleepy Riley for Heather and trying to open a sprite at the same time. In a normal situation this would have turned out all right, but the sprite had been shaken up pretty badly in Heather's diaper bag, so when I opened it up I was surprised with a sprite shower. Don't worry Riley was not harmed in the making of this blog post. I was left pretty sticky though. Over in the corner of the bathroom was a "Caution, Wet Floor" sign. Heather said that it was providence. So, I cleaned up and set up the sign to warn the next bathroom victims.

What I learned through all of this was never open up a sprite while holding Riley. Two, life is made so much more enjoyable for others when you are clumsy, and three having a sense of humor is a must sometimes. I'm so thankful that God has blessed me and my sister with one. :)

After all that fun, My sister and I went and saw Harry Potter. I remember when I was little how everyone around me was going crazy over the books and I was never allowed to read them. I wasn't missing much. It's a wonder what we are letting into the hearts of our youngsters these days. They are so impressionable and so willing to go along with ideas that are presented to them. Harry Potter is a far cry from being the example that kids need. It's scary to look back into my past and think about how Little House on the Prairie, use to be a family favorite. Now families are going to see PG-13 movies together for family fun. I can't sit through most PG-13 movies and I'm 21.
I pray that God gives me the wisdom to know what is acceptable to put before my kids eyes. God warns us to be careful about what we put before our eyes. I started to think, if I won't let my future kids watch that stuff the why I'm I watching it? I shouldn't ask something of them and not require it of myself. Really, the same reason that I have for not wanting them to watch it are the same ones that I have for myself.
These are some of the verses I was reminded of today...

"Keep your heart with all diligence,
      For out of it spring the issues of life." Proverbs 4:23

"I will set nothing wicked before my eyes;
         I hate the work of those who fall away;
         It shall not cling to me." -Psalms 101:3

God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. Your outlook on the media choices and decisions families are making is so refreshing! Thank you for your example :)

    ReplyDelete